> On 24 Aug 2019, at 15:41, Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepf...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> On 8/23/2019 10:59 AM, Wm via gnucash-user wrote:
>>
>>> For example, the price of the meals at meetings is rounded up to the
>>> nearest pound, and the remainder is earmarked for “Charity Choice”. Not all
>>> members attend every meeting, and some members skip the meal and make a
>>> token payment to Charity Choice. There are several such income headings to
>>> deal with.
>>
>> Sounds like crap to me.
>>
>> Think about this: I went to dinner with my mates, said it cost more than it
>> did and said the difference was for charity.  Would you believe me?
>>
>>> The difficulty is that it must be possible to document each individual
>>> member’s contributions over the year in order to make a Gift Aid claim to
>>> Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), which tops up the members’
>>> contributions by 25%.
>>
>> OK, it sounds to me like you're being asked to cheat HMRC.  Are you prepared
>> to do that?
>
> You know all that much, both about the charitable components (tax deductible,
> need to be reported separately) of organizations that while non-profit (tax
> exempt) are not "deductible" << for example, a "fraternal" society -- what
> this is >> and specifically what is required in the UK?
>
> What was asked for here seemed perfectly above board to me. Besides being
> treasurer of 501(c)3's I also belong to organizations that are not deductible
> BUT do sometimes make charitable donations. In some cases, that is a lot of
> what these organizations do beyond their social functions << Lions, Shriners,
> etc. >>  I do not know how they report even here in the US let alone in the
> UK.

Thanks, Mike.

The club itself keeps its own financial records for running expenses etc. Any
income arising from charitable activities is passed to a trust which is
registered as a charity with OSCR (the relevant regulatory authority in
Scotland). Any donation to this charity from a member (or indeed from any
member of the public) is eligible for Gift Aid. The treasurer for the last five
years is a retired banker, and his accounts were all certified by a chartered
account before being passed on to OSCR so I think the principles have been
established. What I am trying to do is find the best way of using GC to record
and report the necessary information.

My predecessor has passed on unpopulated spreadsheets for this club year, and I
plan to run both methods until I can decide which is better.

Regards,

Michael