> On 25 Aug 2019, at 15:55, Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepf...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> On 8/25/2019 3:25 AM, Michael Hendry wrote:
>
> First (and an important question)
>    Is your organization om the cash or accrual basis? You should always state
> that.

Cash.

> The business features of gnucash only work for accrual.

In that case, my question in the subject line is answered, in the negative!

> And I see that your organization does pledges. Here in the US, pledges ARE
> receivable,but only according to the terms of the pledge << thus if a person
> pledged X a year for five years, only the X for the current year due NOW >>
> So pledge accounting will require extra work unless all your pledges are
> simple, immediate pledges.

Volunteering to be a paying guest at a “Foundation Dinner” is the only
undertaking that fits into the definition of a pledge, but I can see that
setting up an invoice for it would make it “receivable”, and have a lifetime
that went beyond the financial year’s end.

But if I avoided setting up invoices for this particular fundraising activity,
could I use the Business Features to record income from a each member
(“Customer”) as it arises?

> But you can easily have a second set of books to keep and report on "by
> member" stuff, and if using the business features, can invoice.

That’s a method I hadn’t thought of, and will look into. There’s the obvious
risk of these two sets of books getting out of step.

> Note though that  at least in the US "membership dies" are not really
> receivables <<you are legally allowed to drop out of a voluntary organization
> at any time -- organizational rules about "demits", etc. apply only if you
> want to rejoin>> However many organizations even cash basis [prefer being
> able to send out "statements" (invoices to members)
>
> Notice that I misunderstood.What I was suggesting was if you had to supply to
> the government the CORRECT member name for the donations, not just that it
> had to be SOME member's name. The latter is of course far simpler in terms of
> record keeping << I was picturing the former because possibly there were by
> person limits >>

From the point of view of the annual report to OSCR (the charity regulator)
there is no need for detailed reporting of income - see
https://www.oscr.org.uk/media/1800/2015-01-27-example-accounts-scio.pdf - but
the annual claim for Gift Aid requires the total contributed per annum by each
individual member. The 25% boost that Gift Aid covers is the reason why most
Rotary Clubs in the UK set up charities which operate “at arms-length” from the
clubs themselves but whose trustees are club officers.

> Michael
>
> PS: I do NOT attempt to get gnucash to produce reports in their final form.
> Easier to export full reports and then copy into a document that gets edited
> to remove extraneous detail, insert annotations, etc.

The way I’ve set up the accounts may need review, as I’m going to require a lot
of individual searches to isolate contributions from individual members.

I think I need to remove a tier and identify the intended destination of the
income using a tag in a searchable field.

Income:Destination1:MemberA … MemberN
Income:Destination2:MemberA … MemberN
…
Income:DestinationX:MemberA … MemberN

 - a total of X * N accounts.

Becomes

Income:Donations:MemberA … MemberN, with Destinations 1…X recorded in the
Description field of each transaction.

 - a total of N accounts.

Thanks for your continued interest and support,

Michael