John Morris,

For me (Mojave 10.14.6) the ESC key gets rid of the text entry window and the
arrow keys are then active again.

I was using a mouse for selecting an account because I can’t seem to navigate
to that tab via my keyboard from another tab. Since I’m using the mouse anyway,
I just keep using it till I’ve opened the target register.

Unfortunately, your Control-Option-Page Up/Down only works for full size
keyboards. The equivalent for Page Up/Down on a short keyboard is Fn-up/down
and that doesn’t work in combo with Control-Option or any combination thereof.
(that I can tell, I miss my full size keyboard...)