Hi,

On Mon, October 7, 2019 1:05 pm, Fred Bone wrote:
[snip]

> No-one is suggesting that. Reconciliation is about detecting / correcting
> differences between two different sets of records.

Let me add my $0.02 to this..  There are multiple ways to enter
transactions into GnuCash (specifically, importing and hand-entering), and
there are multiple ways that errors and discrepancies can happen.  The
most common error/discrepancy is human error when hand-entering
transactions.  HOWEVER, I have certainly found bank errors, and I've
certainly found bogus transactions (Amazon seems to have a funny way to
false billing my wife's credit card periodically).

I'll note that if you only import transactions and then reconcile to bank
statements then you're unlikely to ever detect any of these kinds of bank
errors because you're completely trusting the bank to provide your input
data (import) and then your reconcile data (statement).  But sure, this
will mostly eliminate human input errors ;)

I don't think anyone here believes that humans are infalible; the point of
all the checks is to detect when those errors occur and let you fix them.

Again, just my $0.02.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com