>>> So any font you choose mangles those three letters? Do other fonts mangle
>>> other letters?
>>
>> No, any font I specify in ~/Library/Application\
>> Support/Gnucash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css is OK.
>
> Ah, I was misreading, sorry. I also was misunderstanding the original post.
> The `*` selector should mean the font rule will apply to all elements in the
> app’s UI. (which would include error messages in dialogs) But the printed
> reports have defined stylesheets that provide their own font declarations.
> Check to see what those are set for and which stylesheet is being used, try
> other fonts and see if the problem persists.
>

> Also, while technically it should work either way, the wiki page on
> Configuration Locations notes TWO config locations:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#GNC_CONFIG_HOME
>
> GNC_CONFIG_HOME for MacOS is:
>
> HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash
>
> GTK_CONFIG_HOME is:
>
> HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/config/gtk-3.0
>
> Notice that one is 2 levels down. I have my custom CSS file in the first one
> and it works fine. I’ve never tried putting it in the gtk-3.0 directory.
>

> The wiki GTK3 page recommends using the first one as well:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Typefaces

GTK_CONFIG_HOME:
HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
does affect the general UI but not error meesages and 'print invoice' button.

GNC_CONFIG_HOME:
HOME/Library/Application Support/GnuCash/gtk-3.0.css
[https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Typefaces]
does exactly the same.

No differences between placing css in GNC_CONFIG_HOME or GTK_CONFIG_HOME.

> So that is eliminated, I’m still leaning towards a corrupt font file.
>
> 1. Open FontBook.app
> 2. Select ‘All Fonts’ in the sidebar
> 3. Click one font in the list, then CMD-A to ’select-all’
> 4. File > Validate Fonts
>
> This will check all of your font files for errors or problems and report
> which ones are bad/problematic. You can then delete or disable those fonts.
> If you find any and delete/disable them, then restart GnuCash and see if the
> problem persists.

lots of duplicates, all were disabled, now removed.
minor warnings for Bauhaus 93 (1), DYMO Symbols (1), Tamburo (1)
restarted mac, restarted gnucash. nothing has changed.

[..default font skipped..]

> As for the printable reports - fonts are defined in stylesheets within
> GnuCash., not in the config directories or a custom app-wide CSS file. (as
> noted above) You can create your own or edit existing ones. (including the
> default stylesheet)

I do accounting for all my family members, they each have different logo's etc>
I made personal modifications to a copy of these reports. no problem at all.

> See Edit > Style Sheets for editing them, and Options > General for
> stylesheet assignment for that report.
>
> I’m not clear what you mean by ‘error messages, etc.’ Dialogs are controlled
> by the UI and that *should* be affected by a `*` CSS selector. (though GTK3
> CSS doesn’t always play nice like web CSS)

I have a new screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/JW2kTrh
It shows my css-specified font menlo but the error message has the same problem
font.

> Troubleshooting font issues can be quite a rabbit hole at times.

But you WILL visit Wonderland!

> Regards,
> Adrien

Thanks,