Not sure all of that was in chronological order, so I'm still a little fuzzy, but maybe this will help you:

Income should be its own account (of type 'Income') in GnuCash. You can of course have sub accounts here to track various sources.

When you earn (or receive if on a cash-basis) then the transaction should look like this:

Dr. Assets
Cr. Income

What asset account you use depends on the form of what you received. If direct deposit, then Checking would be fine. If a paper check, one practice is to temporarily use an 'Undeposited Funds' account until the deposit (which may not be the entirety of the check) is made. If cash, well, then 'Cash' is the account used.

When you incur (or pay on a cash-basis) an expense, the transaction should look like:

Dr. Expenses
Cr. Assets

Of course, the expense account(s) used depend on the nature of the actual expense. The asset account(s) depend on the actual source of the funds. If you buy with a credit card then the transaction would look like so:

Dr. Expenses
Cr. Liabilities (with a sub-account for the particular card)

What you seem to be describing is a savings plan and/or a segregation of funds for some purpose other than regular expenses. While you can employ equity accounts here, using an asset account is probably more in-line with the real world events. (the money is still yours as long as it doesn't represent a liability)

I wasn't quite clear if this is 'virtual' earmarking of funds or real-world separate accounts. (like a savings account, or as with some checking accounts, a special designation amount)

If a real-world account at a financial institution, and you are moving funds from one account to another, then reflect that move with a transaction. Both accounts will be asset accounts.

If this is just for your informational purposes to see how much you've set aside, (but the money doesn't *yet* leave the physical checking account) then create a sub-account of checking and do a transfer between the parent and sub.

This way, the total of the parent account can show the actual real-world balance (if desired) and you can see how much is in various earmarked sub-accounts.

Now, when you spend those earmarked funds for real, say by donating to a charity, then that would be a regular expense transaction as above. You have two options here:

1. First, transfer the funds back to the parent, then enter the gift/charity expense transaction from the parent. (how it happened in the real world)

2. Make the expense transaction as coming from the sub-account.

I would prefer #1 for my future self, because I find modeling the real-world is easier to investigate down the road if I find discrepancies. But #2 is one less transaction to enter. Either method would retain tracking of the balance remaining (if any) that is still earmarked.

Now, if you also need to track how much you've *pledged* to donate, that is another layer of complexity. Doable, but yes, a bit of extra work.

Finally, since you are eventually spending the earmarked funds, your income and expenses will balance to zero. (with some temporal discrepancies depending on when you spend those funds vs. when you receive them.)