Marilyn,

Part of your problem, I think, is based on a misunderstanding of terminology.
You keep referring to these virtual amounts as "Equity" when really they are
*Assets*. In the gnucash world, these funds should be placed as Assets
accounts. That you have set them aside in your mind as "not-assets" doesn't
change this fact.

As for the fact that some of your virtual money is "in" one account, and more
is "in" another, well, it's all virtual anyway. The reason for placing these
virtual accounts as sub accounts of one real account is to make reconciliation
of the real account easier, through the option to reconcile sub accounts in the
reconcile process. Maintaining the virtual cash in multiple real accounts will
defeat this, however.

The only option I see, should you really insist on your approach, would involve
some convolution wherein you "transfer" amounts from the respective real
accounts manually (using a standard naming scheme perhaps) into the separate
virtual asset account created for this. This would allow you to track the
"balance" in your virtual account despite holding the funds in multiple real
accounts. However, reconciling the real accounts would require you to remember
to omit all of these virtual transfers. And then you'd have to work out how you
wanted to reconcile the virtual transfers, so that your real reconciliations
would continue to make sense.

Best,
David T.