> On 7 Aug 2020, at 05:05, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
> To be sure I understand, it crashed after you told GnuCash to quit. How did
> you do that? Quit or Force Quit from the Dock or command-q or Gnucash>Quit in
> GnuCash?
>
> The stack trace indicates that a pointer got corrupted, but I don't see
> anything obvious in the relevant code. The check and repair code hasn't
> changed since GnuCash 3.5 so it seems likely that the same hang would have
> happened in 3.9 too.
>
> It would be worthwhile--after making a backup--to run Check and Repair on
> that book again and instead of killing GnuCash when it hangs start
> Applications:Utilities:Activity Monitor, select Gnucash, and run a spin dump
> from the gear menu. Attach it to a bug report. You might run with --debug and
> attach the resulting trace file as well.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks, John.

To answer your question first - having found that the menus were disabled, I
used Command>Quit.

It seems I was being impatient with Check & Repair.

For the record, this is what I’ve done this morning:

1. Reboot.
2. Create ./SAFETY and ./TEST subdirectories in my Accounts directory.
3. Copy the most recent backups that precede the installation of 4.1 to
./SAFETY, and rename to filename.gnucash.
4. Copy these files in turn to ./TEST.
5. Open one of the ,/TEST files in version 3.9.
6. Run Check & Repair all.

At this point, there was no evidence of activity, but as I clicked on the menus
the majority of the options were greyed out.

I started Activity Monitor, and GnuCash appeared to be using 90% or more of the
CPU's time. After a while GC’s demands on the CPU fell to 1 or 2 percent, the
menus were active again, and there was no crash.

I had expected C & R to suppress access to the menu system and display some
kind of progress indicator while running, and have confirmed that the crash can
be reproduced by starting C & R All and promptly Quitting via the GnuCash menu.

I shall proceed cautiously (and patiently!) with the introduction of 4.1.

Meanwhile, should this be reported formally as a bug?

Regards,

Michael