Derek,

Before you go too far down the Mailman rabbit hole, if you have a Linux-based Web/E-mail host, they may offer a Mailman installation as an option that is as simple as giving the list a name and setting a few preferences. (Unless you really want to run your own Mailman server that is)

If you have such a host, their tools section or cPanel will have an entry for 'Mailing Lists'.