I have had a bit more time to play with this.

I have set up an Ubuntu 20.04LTS VM, installed flatpak and installed the
current gnucash flatpak from flathub.org.

I then first tested to see if I could use that to open an existing test book
as follows (on the command line):

flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash /home/janssege/testfile.gnucash

That worked fine.

So next I created a desktop file /home/janssege/Desktop/Dad.desktop
with this contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash /home/janssege/testfile.gnucash
Name=GnuCash 4.9 FLATPAK Dad
Comment=Manage home and small business accounts
Icon=/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/
share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico

Note that at this point the icon on my desktop still shows a generic gear icon
and double-clicking it won't do anything. That only changes **after** I use
RightClick->Allow Launching.

Jeffrey, you never explicitly confirmed you have effectively right-clicked the
destktop file and selected "Allow launching".  I only find you mention
"execute permissions are correctly set". So I did the test and made a second
desktop file in which I only corrected the execute permissions but don't use
the "Allow Launching" option. This second desktop icon will still not run
gnucash on double-click, nor will it change icon. It remains the generic gear
icon.

So to me that suggests having execute permissions is not sufficient on Ubuntu
20.04 LTS. You do need to use the menu item "Allow Launching".

Anyway, with that out of the way double-clicking the icon on the desktop will
run gnucash and it will open my testfile.

So for the final test I mounted a USB drive named 'MAC DRIVE' with my test
file on it and changed the desktop file's exec line to

Exec=flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash /media/janssege/'MAC DRIVE'/
testfile.gnucash
(all in a single line)

That launches gnucash without any issues, opening testfile.gnucash from my USB
stick.

At no point did it create log files on the desktop, nor did I ever have to use
flatpak override to give flatpak permissions to read/write the USB drive.

So we're probably chasing the wrong tails here.

Jeffrey, at this point my most important suggestion would be to use the "Allow
Launching" menu option. If that doesn't work still, I think it's best you send
us a link a few screenshots (for example on ImgUr, Google drive,
Nextcloud,...) showing the icon on your desktop, the contents of the desktop
file, the error messages that appear and so on. We may be assuming things that
get lost in words but show up on images.

Regards,

Geert