flywire,

You're crossing up threads here. Jim specifically needs to create Security entries in his GnuCash file (and has stated this on several occasions) so that he can add transactions for those securities later. Your advice regarding adding commodity transactions using csv import tools is besides his point and off his topic.

It would be preferable for you to add your comments to a new thread, so that others can focus on Jim's problem here while more directly helping you address the issues that you have encountered on a separate thread.

David T.