Chris:

On 2022-08-16 02:36, Chris Good wrote:
…There is code in the ofx import to handle creating securities which is done before an investment transaction if the security (commodity) does not exist and Preference, Import, "Automatically create new commodities" is ticked. I have never used it but maybe some-one else can supply an example ofx file.

Thank you for pointing out this preferences option, and this OFX import code.  I was not aware of either.

I just checked with a test book. With Preferences -- Import -- "Automatically create new commodities" checked, I performed an input of an Accounts CSV file which referred to a novel security. The CSV importer rejected it with an error message about the missing commodity.

CSV import is not the same as OFX import, of course. I don't have the information to quickly create an OFX test case.

And I have not tried CSV import of a transaction. It might be that transaction import has some code to create new commodities which account import is lacking.