I don’t know what that content is, but I didn’t knowingly post a binary here
(which is what that looks like).   Speaking of scary moments…

Anyway what I intended to post was something along the lines of this:

Since the OP mentions using Gnucash both as an application and as a CLI utility
on multiple machines, is it possible that this is just a case of the file being
open on more than one machine (or more than one process) at once?  If changes
were made in one program but another program had the file open, it would be
fairly easy for the one without the chnages to have overwritten the changes
made on the other machine (or other process on the same machine)?