Well, before, if I ran the GnuCash GUI with it open on another machine, it
tells me that the file is locked. I don't override the lock unless I know
that the machine or GnuCash crashed.  I have caught myself a handful of
times over the last seven years, so it is possible, especially if the
gnucash-cli option doesn't check for the lock file. I'm not sure what would
happen, however, if I did have the file open... with a seven-minute
auto-save, I'd have to really be working hard to run an update before the
autosave kicked in.