First,

Welcome to GnuCash!

As with most issues, but particularly with crashes, can you provide the version of GnuCash you are using and the Operating System?

Now, for some additional detail questions:

1. Did the account you were trying delete contain transactions? If not, was it set as a 'placeholder' account specifically, or simply not used?

2. Did the sub-account(s) contain transactions? Were any of them placeholders?

When you re-opened your file, what, as best you can determine, was missing? Was it only transactions related to the affected account and sub-accounts, or were entirely un-related transactions also missing?

-----
As to the question of "is GnuCash buggy" I'd say, *all* software has bugs. Some are known, some not.

For GnuCash, bugs that cause crashes or erroneously delete/change data are top priority based on what I gather from how the developers react. (that might even be official 'policy')

The steps are usually:

1. Detail the circumstances
2. Try to reliably reproduce it with a set list of steps
3. Rule out user error. (I don't think that is the case here, other than trying to delete an account that contained sub-accounts)

-----
With respect to the question of data file formats, that is simply a personal choice based on needs outside of GnuCash. Each has their advantages.

There is nothing inherently inferior about the default XML backend.

Additionally, all formats are treated the same by GnuCash itself. All are loaded entirely into memory and accessed accordingly. GnuCash is not yet a 'proper' database application.