From: gnucash-user <gnucash-user-bounces+xeroy=hotmail....@gnucash.org> on
behalf of Adrien Monteleone <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 1, 2023 3:50 PM
To: gnucash-u...@lists.gnucash.org <gnucash-u...@lists.gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Crash on account delete

On 1/1/23 6:36 PM, Xe Roy wrote:
> I have the latest version 4.13 downloaded yesterday running on Windows 11 on
> AMD Ryzen 9 5950x.

Thanks for the clarification, and good to know you are up to date.

> I can't remember if the account I was trying to delete was the placeholder or
> the subaccount.

That makes it harder to try to duplicate, and it might be important, but
'til then...

> There were no transactions in the account or the subaccount.
Good to know. There otherwise shouldn't have been a loss of data, except...

> When I re-ran GnuCash I got the UNABLE TO OBTAIN LOCK error.
> The only option that worked was to ignore the error.
Usually the case after a crash, nothing out of the ordinary here,

> The lost transactions were in other accounts.
> I assume that when the program crashed, I lost everything since the last
> automatic save.
Highly likely.

Investigate your auto-save interval in the meantime. Maybe a shorter one
will help, or else:

Make a copy of your file and do some tests.

Recreate the accounts you desired to delete.

Do a manual save.

Delete the desired account(s)

What happens?

If you reproduce the crash, that's technically a good thing, because
you've not only identified a problem, you can reproduce it so the
developers can too, and most likely fix it. (the hard to reproduce stuff
is the most difficult to fix, because it can be nearly impossible to
figure out what the cause)

If all goes as expected, then I'd chalk it up to something weird. Not
necessarily 'not a bug' but not quite yet identifiable.

-----
Here's where one of the benefits of the various SQL backends kicks in,
as David H. mentioned : instant auto-save.

If you get a crash using one of them, you *may* only loose data pending
to be saved, not other transactions already committed. With the XML
format, you'll lose anything within the time window of your auto-save
preference.