On 1/16/2023 7:29 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
Apologies if this is too much an accounting question, but I'm stuck, and am
trying to work out how GnuCash will handle this.

It is accounting, as opposed to gnucash, but I will help. But please do note that perhaps more basis in double  entry accounting needed than just the tutorial if doing for a business.

I'm trying to enter into GnuCash my company accounts for this financial
year only - I'm not going to bother trying to enter every transaction since
the company started. So the opening balances should reflect the company's
financial position on 28/2/2022, and transactions from 1/3/22 being
recorded.

I have the account

Assets:Fixed Assets

All that contains is test equipment and computer equipment, all of which
will be depreciated - there's no land, or other things that don't
depreciate.

I initially set Assets:Fixed Assets to have an opening balance of £x, as
that's what my accountant told me the total of all thef fixed assets was
worth. I see that is reflected in the account

Equity:Opening Balances

However, after I asked him, my accountant gave me a breakdown of the net
value of the individual fixed assets, which have obviously depreciated over
time.  I thought it would be useful to have their individual net values on
28/2/2022 recorded in GnuCash

OK, I will describe what you SHOULD have done and how to get from where you are to there.

Ideally under fixed assets you have sub accounts, perhaps first by acquisition year and under that for the individual things (or group of same type). All of these accounts should have two sub accounts, one for basis (cost of acquisition) and one for depreciation taken, the difference being the current net book value. Note that USUALLY depreciation is adjusted annually, as you are not required to do monthly, AND this is to your advantage if/when any are disposed of (will decrease any gain and increase any loss if you are allowed to use as net value remaining that of the previous year end)

Getting there from where you are should not require you changing anything in equity. You would just be "transferring" from your initial structure of fixed assets to this new one. The "credit side" is account in the old structure as you debit into the new structure. Thus, you can rename (for now) you existing account "fixed assets" (in which nothing broken down to something like "xfixed assets" and create your new fixed assets tree with all the accounts in it zero. You then populate the new tree using transactions that put in the values using the old structure (single account) as the other side of these transactions. When you are all done, the remaining balance in xfixed assets should be zero and you can HIDE it.

Each year as you depreciate (part of end of fiscal year processing) the other side of the transaction will be an account under expenses named "depreciation of fixed assets. You could set up to do monthly but WHY? (what benefit do you gain vs what does this cost you). Remember, depreciation is an expense but does not represent any money flowing in or out. The money went out when you acquired the fixed asset (but you weren't allowed to treat that as an expense at the time).

Michael D Novack

PS: Whether you break down (within year) to particular fixed assets depends mainly on the likelihood of individual items being disposed of for gain or loss. If this is unlikely (far more likely to be all of none) then no need to bother.