On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 at 23:32, Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net> wrote:

> Chris & Michael have both offered sound advice.
>
> I'll add towards your question of individual item tracking, simply
> create sub-accounts under Assets:Fixed Assets for each one, and the
> parent Fixed Assets should be empty.
>
> And no, they don't belong under Equity, they are Assets. The other side
> of those transactions goes to Equity. (and then to Expenses for later
> Depreciation as Chris noted)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

That would require a *lot* of accounts, but I guess it makes it blindingly
obvious what the items are. I was hoping to try to automate the
depreciation with the Scheduled Transactions in GnuCash. I've not used them
yet, but I assume that it would be much more tricky if things are in many
different accounts. But maybe I am wrong.

For the purposes of submitting to Companies House, I only need the total of
fixed assets - no breakdown is necessary. If the company was inspected, I
assume that inspectors would want to see a breakdown.

What would you do for transactions that have already been written off? I
was tempted to add those, as the company has been going for 8 years, so
whether I add 8 years of assets or 5 does not make much difference - am
extra 55 items. Would it be sensible to create a vendor in GnuCash called
"Written off" and let all things that are written off be purchased from
"Written Off"? I don't really want to enter a new vendor for everything
purchased years ago, and already written off. That would mean filling in
the names and addresses of 55 more vendors, which would be a bit too
time-consuming for my liking.