Maybe I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to track the items' values & depreciation separately. By all means, otherwise lump them in one account. (you can of course make separate transactions for each item, which would allow you to run Transaction Reports filtered on each item if needed)

Personally, I would make the decision to group by year (all acquired in the same year) but if large items likely to be disposed of separately, might want to have an own account. Mind for one of my organizations would be things like tractors, zero turn mowers, trailers, equipment sheds, etc.

What would you do for transactions that have already been written off? I
was tempted to add those, as the company has been going for 8 years, so
whether I add 8 years of assets or 5 does not make much difference - am
extra 55 items.

You could put in just "fixed assets 20xx" and not bother to break down to separate zero net. But ....... did you not have depreciation in those years you might have to justify in an audit? They are allowed to go back what, seven? Mind my practical experience with small non-profits with almost zero chance of being audited. Fill out, but did not submit the 990-EZ as below the filing threshold (just the 990-N "we still exist")

Would it be sensible to create a vendor in GnuCash called
"Written off" and let all things that are written off be purchased from
"Written Off"? I don't really want to enter a new vendor for everything
purchased years ago, and already written off. That would mean filling in
the names and addresses of 55 more vendors, which would be a bit too
time-consuming for my liking.

These were purchased long ago and you're just carrying forward their remaining value. This should be no different than any other Opening Balance transactions.
Sorry, not understanding this part of it at all, Vendor data? Assumptions here about how acquired are a separate issue.

Just do something similar to the example transactions in Chris' reply.

As he noted, if you want to record the original price, do that as an Opening Balance, then with the same date, make another transaction reflecting the currently accumulated depreciation. The end result would be the present value as of the date you opened the GnuCash book.

You do not have do by wizard. I'd put the back ones up by transaction, especially where net zero. But even if not, for each fixed asset that has its own account, debit basis sub account, credit depreciation taken sub account, and any difference (net value) to equity. The point here as adding these where no remaining net value does not affect equity.

Michael D Novack