If you do the "Putting It All Together" sections as you go through the
guide you will learn the basics and have a sample set of books. It starts
with:
https://gnucash-docs-rst.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guide/C/ch_basics.html#putting-it-all-together

> that isn't the latest, nor official documentation.

No, it's not but it is the version I recommend. Feedback on how it compares
with the official version would be useful.

Two farm-related use issues for me are no automatic sales tax calculations
for cash accounting (only business features with accrual accounting) and no
classification on transactions (eg classify your vehicle expenses for lamb
and tourism enterprises then report by classification). There are
workarounds.