From: gnucash-user <gnucash-user-bounces+gylemc=gmail....@gnucash.org> on
behalf of Ryan Carver <r...@6040design.com>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2023 4:29 PM
To: gnucash-user@gnucash.org <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: [GNC] Issuing a credit to customer

Hi all,

I am curious how one may resolve the following scenario in Gnucash.

A client sent me a payment check in the mail for $1,450.  The check was
lost in the mail so my client issued me a new check and I successfully
received and processed the payment in Gnucash.

Then a few months later the missing check appeared and I mistakenly
deposited the check without cross-referencing the check date and amount
(lesson learned there).  Now I have $1,450 extra in my checking account.
My client asked I just issue them a credit on their next invoice.

So my question is two-fold:

1)  How would I categorize the extra $1,450 since the original invoice has
already been marked paid?  Marking it as "assign as payment" does not seem
correct since there is no invoice to apply it to.  I was thinking I could
assign it to "Income - Sales" or possibly "Income - Other" and not process
it as a payment.

2)  How would I issue the Credit Note back to the client to be applied on
future invoices?

Thanks,

Ryan Carver

SIXTY FORTY DESIGN