Gyle & Robert gave the proper answer, but for completeness, you'd issue a Credit Note when you need to issue a refund, or you need to create a credit for reason other than a pre-payment. (which is your current case)

The Credit Note, if needed, can be 'paid' with an actual refund, or simply applied (just as with a pre-payment) to future invoices.

The workflow for applying pre-payments or Credit Notes to offset future invoices is simply to do a Process Payment and select both 'documents', the invoice and the pre-payment/Credit Note.