Perhaps I expressed myself badly. I had to decide between two options,
yes, but you put them both in your item 1. Since nobody was confident
enough in 1(a) to advocate it, I followed David's advice and did 1(b).

I have been keeping out of this because anybody experienced enough to put programs in some other directory and run them from there would not be asking the question. I have to be careful answering "is it possible?" questions literally.

Michael D Novack