On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 02:00:08PM +0100, G R Hewitt wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 at 08:49, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 08:28:54AM +0100, G R Hewitt wrote:
> > > Maybe a forum might serve better than a mailing list, there are many
> > > advantages over a mailing list?
> > >
> > ... and there are many disadvantages!
> >
> > 1 - I (like may others here I expect) use a lot of, mostly technical,
> > mailing lists.  I can read them *all* in my mail program.  If I had
> > to use forums to do the same I'd have to connect to 60 or more
> > different web sites to see all the messages.
> >
> > 2 - I can use the same, familiar, tools for handling all my messages.
> > I don't have to use the message editor that a forum imposes on me.
> >
> > 3 - Very few forums preserve message threading properly so it becomes
> > very difficult to follow messages in sub-threads etc.
> >
> > 4 - I can easily keep useful/interesting messages (or complete
> > threads) to refer to later, locally on my computer.
> >
> > etc. etc.
> >
> Well I suppose if you are a techno-person with 60 or more different tech
> sites, that would make sense.
> But I don't suppose that most users of Gnucash are, and are likely
> Accountants, Book-keepers,

But it is a 'technical' mailing list in that it is all about how to
use, fix bugs, etc. in a big complex piece of software.  While many
(most) of the lists I use are software related they are also mostly
'user' lists.

Having said that there are a few forum software suites that also
provide E-Mail access so one can get the best of both worlds.  The one
I know about is called Discourse, it's used by a couple of the lists
I'm on and works well both by E-Mail and as a forum.

--
Chris Green