On 4/29/2023 2:39 AM, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
There's no hard rule either way. Some users feel strongly about not having any
transactions in placeholder accounts, though, and advocate loudly on the list
in support of it.  But there's nothing in the software preventing a placeholder
account having transactions in it.

That said, the importer really shouldn't put transactions into a placeholder,
since the whole point of the placeholder designation is to prevent transactions
from being put there. That sounds like a bug.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bug. Do we really need a prevent stupid mistake fence here? A hard fence? << a soft fence that can be enabled/disabled as a user option significantly more work >>

In the normal course of things, the logical INTENT of having a placeholder account is that it is an account concept (sort of account) that has a number of child  accounts dividing that concept up in finer detail. That said ....

Consider the work flow ... you are entering transactions and in that process find you have a number within that concept that do NOT properly fit any of the existing child accounts. Yes you can create accounts on the fly BUT you might immediately see that once you have created this new child or children, SOME of the transactions currently recorded in one or more of the preexisting children really should be moved to one of these new children.

In other words, you have work to do, and maybe in the middle of entering transactions not the best place to do that work. I, for one, do not want to ever interrupt the task of entering a stack of transactions because THAT is a possible source of error, one that gnucash or any other accounting app does not protect us from << getting wrong where we were when resuming entering that stack; do one twice or miss one >>

SO .... I like it that I could temporarily enter these transactions into the parent and leave the clean-up for a later time. The presence of transactions in the parent that is logically a placeholder serves as a reminder "you've got work to do here" << for THAT reason I would use the following work flow for that --- first create the new child/children, second move any in the preexisting children that better fit here, and only last distribute those in parent to the proper children. That way, if this task is interrupted, the transactions remaining in the parent serve to indicate "not done yet". And in exceptional situations maybe you want to leave an oddball transaction there  (in the parent) because you do not expect there to be others oddball in the same way.

So I would prefer using gnucash with the option "allow" (transactions in parent intended as a placeholder) trusting my good sense from keeping me from ACCIDENTALLY entering a transaction there.

Michael D Novack