On 4/29/2023 10:08 AM, David T. wrote:
Michael,

I disagree. The importer shouldn't put transacting into an account that is--by definition-- write protected.

My counter example would be a write-protected file folder. An operating system that allowed a user to put data into a write-protected folder would come in for serious criticism.

Temporary records should go somewhere, for sure. It's been my experience that GnuCash uses Imbalance-xxx for such transactions. Why would you ever expect to put them in write-protected accounts?

You are talking about theĀ  behavior of the IMPORTER.

Your proposed solution would affect ANY entry of transactions.

And an operating system SHOULD allow writing into a write protected folder whenever the person (or program) doing so has sufficient "rights" << normally when I am logged in it is WITHOUT admin rights (even on my home system) -- bear in mind decades in the cypher mines where I had to be very conscious of whether I was using my ordinary login or my "prod*" log in. Like in the middle of the night emergency fix to a hanging production program -- doing this during the day I would walk over to the desk of whoever normally handled "builds" and have them do the replacement of the program in the production library>>

Michael

PS --- By all means ask for a change to the behavior of the importer if you think that is in order. But actually what you want is that the importer verify that it isn't specifying an account that does not exist OR one that is a placeholder. We used to call something like the the "input editor" portion of a transaction handling program.