When you post a bill, is the check box for 'consolidate splits' selected?

When it is, the AR/AP accounts get a basic summary type transaction in their registers for the bill/invoice. (one split for each affected other account)

Without consolidating, all line-items show as individual splits.

That may or may not influence check printing, but it might be worth a test. (though this is just a guess)