Look, we can tell you how to use gnucash to do double-entry bookkeeping. But it is beyond our remit to tell you how to set up books for this or that type of entity.

For example, I lack the "qualifications" to advise you the way a CPA could. But I do know something about it, so I will give you some hints as to what you need to learn in order to DIY.

You are describing an entity that is a "partnership". So you should want to set up the books for this property that way. Notice that I am talking about the entity, not your personal books, because it will be much easier that way. Obtain a text (paper or on-line) along the lines of "accounting for partnerships 101".

If you have a set of books for this entity, you should NOT have to split each and every transaction! Depending on the frequency you want to do this, every month, or every quarter, or annually you can allocate each partner's share (of income, of expenses, etc.). If you have a separate set of books for the entity, on your books your share of the property would be an asset (like other forms of investments)

The reason I am unwilling to give advice in more detail (the way the accountant would) is that exactly how done depends on lots of things. For example, is this a rental property? Do either or both of you live in it? Etc.

Michael D Novack