Eric,

I started out the same way, using gnucash for personal books and added my sole
proprietorship business activity at a later date.

Like you, even if I setup a new business bank account, I’d invariably have some
expenses that would involve apportioning part of the expense to business side
of things. It’s much easier to do this in a single book. If you wish, you can
segregate the books, but it will constantly involve splitting business portion
of the transactions to be duplicated in both books. If you do this, you would
have to split the business portion of transactions to an equity account in
personal books and source one side of transactions from a similar equity
account in the business books. Given the tedium in maintaining copies of
transactions in multiple books, I chose to keep it in a single book.

It’s easy enough to create an account hierarchy to include business side of
things in your personal books and at report generation time, include the
appropriate set of accounts for business or personal income or balance sheet
information.

There may be a case to separate the books if you anticipate selling your
business at a future date, but that effort is worth it only if the business is
large enough to spin off at a later date. Not worth its while for sole
proprietorship.

You can still separate the books at a later date (say if you register an LLP or
a private company), if you deem it necessary to maintain separate books at that
time.

Cheers,
Deva