First, what is the proper way to reply / request to this email sequence?
I follow the instructions at the end:
        "Please remember to CC this list on all your replies."
        "You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All."
But only end up with "gnucash-u...@gnucassh.org" and get mildly chastised for
not replying properly.

My tax accountant needed me to supply cost of goods sold, "COGS", but I have
not figured out how to do this
Current sequence:
I schedule a visit with the client, and determine the likely need for a widget
of some type.
I purchase it ahead, and document with a Purchase order. At some point I
receive it and log it into Inventory.
Original attempt:
Item            Acct                    Dr          Cr
Widget          Payables                           $10
                Inventory          $10
Payment       Bank                                 $10
                       Payables           $10

Clean, but no COGS entry.  My best attempt is this:
Item            Acct                    Dr          Cr
Widget          Payables                           $10
                COGS                 $10
Payment       Bank                                 $10
                       Payables           $10

And when I get the part from vendor:

Item            Acct                    Dr          Cr
Widget          Purchases                        $10
                Inventory          $10

I am ok with the extra step, but what kind of account is Purchases?
Is this even proper accounting?
Thank you!
Eric