You are expecting the cost of goods sold at the wrong time. It is unrelated to when the goods are obtained (added to inventory)

To perhaps make this easier for you to see, we'll use an example from one of "my" org as "organizations which had tee shirts, both sold to supporters AND given to volunteers as "recognition". In other words, when we bought a batch of tee shirts, we don't (yet) know how many will end up being sold and so affect the expense "cost of goods sold" and how many the expense "recognition".

So lets say we buy another batch of 100 @ #7.20     So we debit inventory:tee shirts:debit batch 5 $720 and credit checking $720      NOT (yet) an expense. inventory is an asset so it's just one type of asset (money) to another (tee shirts)

Now we get back a report from the group who tabled at an event. They sold seven tee shirts for $29 each. There were still four remaining from batch 4 (@ $7.15 and three from the new batch 5 (@ $7.20).  So the complete transaction looks like this (if entering as a two way split -- you could instead use two transactions to avoid that)
Debits
Cash                                   $100
     Cost of goods sold $50.20
Credits
Sales                                  $100
     batch 4                              $28.60       <<  note batch 4 now cleaned out so could be hidden if desired >>
     batch 5   $21.60
   <<< note -- doing inventory FIFO and on the cash basis so invoicing and when those paid not involved  ---- and you could instead have done in multiple transactions to avoid the two way split >>

But really Eric, this isn't a gnucash question. You aren't asking how do I enter this but "what accounts should I be debiting or crediting?" Gnucash is a tool that automates double entry bookkeeping and those of us who learned doing it the old way pen and ink on paper can appreciate what it is doing for us. But you STILL need to learn the basics of accounting/bookkeeping. If the tutorial isn't enough for you, obtain a beginners text (paper or virtual)

Michael F Novack