John,

Hmm, it's all irrelevant with Australian GST. Generally, a return is
submitted each quarter with GST collected less GST paid, and a payment is
made by the appropriate party for the difference. It doesn't matter if it
is income, a capital item, or stock.

With my experience of Quickbooks I see the GST accounts and process
differently to you but the discussion best follows a preprocessor
demonstration with specific examples. I agree it is important to pick
examples most people can relate to, for example, most people probably have
the same understanding of diesel but not gas.

Regards