> In looking for/expecting and automated solution you are thinking one should
be reasonable. ...I live in the US [which has complex GST]

Yet surely it is reasonable for the automated GST functionality for accrual
accounting to apply to cash accounting. Even USA GST has rules, so it could
be automated.

> flywire: you mentioned that you use QuickBooks for business, have you tried
using Odoo?

I have tried many packages but not Odoo. Manual data entry is the most
time-consuming task so I give accounting package right of veto to
the person doing data entry. Apart from the farm business tracking GST in
Quickbooks all data entry is a semi-automated csv process in GnuCash,
although one set of books uses an 80/20 automated account allocation edited
by someone else after importing.

I switched from KMyMoney to Gnucash with a view to GST support for the
farm, not realising it wasn't automated for cash accounting. Regardless, I
think I can force the farm data into GnuCash and leverage the data.

Regards