Describe THIS better David (lol, not yet having gotten up to 5.1 I can't look for myself)

I also think that the registers now display a little differently to what
they used to.  In 5.1 any open registers always scroll all the way to the
end of the txns when you re-open your GnuCash data file.  In 5.3 they don't
seem to quite get all the way to the bottom meaning you have to manually
page down in every register you had open to see all your future txns, which
in my case is sometimes 15 - 20 as I like to know what's coming up for the
next 60 days cash flow wise.

Are you saying "used to scroll down to the last SCHEDULED transaction but now scrolls down to the last EXISTING transaction?

I do understand you saying you like the prior behavior, but probably most folks considered that a bug they were happy to see fixed. After all, USUALLY they are in an account in order to add a transaction, and immediately after the last EXISTING transaction is normally where you do that << of course gnucash might move it somewhere else depending on the effective data of the new transaction. You are presumably taking advantage of THAT behavior when entering transactions at what you consider the end. The development team probably considered this not a "change" but fixing a bug.

Do note that probably many people, myself included, are very often wanting to look at the last few actual transactions at the time entering  anew one (it's how we spot "damn, forgot to enter last month's", etc.). Probably many people, most people, have only a very few accounts where  scheduled transactions make up a high percentage of transactions by amount  (and so scheduled transaction have the main affect on cash flow)

BTW --  this perhaps is a good example why you don't have me volunteering with the development crew. The lack of a FORMAL DEFINITION that would settle matters like this (feature or bug?) Mind, in that world of software development from which I come, the project phase for doing that was about 20% of the whole and required the commitment of USERS to the process.

Michael D Novack

PS --- don't you love the term "bug". Where I used to work, they had the late Grace Murray Hopper in to give us a talk every few years. One of her anecdotes of the early days was how the term came about. One time a "down" was caused by an insect getting into the machine and causing a short. Could just picture the glee of those people as youngsters as they attached the specimen* and pages and pages about its life cycle, etc. to the hated "problem report" they were required to submit for every "down" as a sort of protest. So naturally, the next time they came over with a report on a down the response was "OK, what kind of a bug was it this time".

* They had sent over to the Smithsonian for an ID and as much information about it as possible, so they had a LOT of pages to append.