On Sat, 1 Jul 2023 18:30:44 -0700 Vincent Dawans wrote:

>Pierre:
>
>On this point in particular:
>> Worse, typing "Pens<TAB>" auto-populated an old "Camper expenses" entry
>which
>> now had to be canceled and restarted.
>
>This was an issue in early 5 releases but as far as I know 5.3 no longer
>does a mid-word match so it should no longer happen in 5.3. In fact a lot
>of the old 4.x behavior such as giving priority to recent matches and start
>of string matches has been brought back in 5.3 so I would give it a try.

Version: 5.3
Build ID: 5.3+(2023-06-26)

pens<TAB>  is my test; there are many entries displayed when I type 'p';
at 'pe', it's down to just 'Amazon - pens' (at least 'Camper expenses' is
no longer in the list; but at 'pens', 'Amazon - pens' is still available
and it get auto-filled on TAB -- not what I expected...  At TAB, the entry
should be considered a match if the entire typed string is a match,
otherwise it should be considered a new unique entry.  If a visible
selection is what is desired, then that can be selected directly.
However, it's still forcing a change to the user's years long muscle
memory actions...

Stated differently:  if the user enters 'pens' and 'Amazon - pens' is in
the list, TAB should assume the entered characters are the complete
entry, not what's in the list, even if it's the only match; that should be
explicitly selected. Otherwise, creating a new unique entry becomes
convoluted...

HTH,
Pierre