Since these funds have been held since before I started using Gnucash I can't really carry over any cost basis within it. I won't worry about it too much because I am not using the reports directly and I don't use Gnucash for my taxes. However, it appears it handled it anyway because the top-level brokerage account shows a value of zero now because all the underlying funds have zeroed out and the new brokerage account shows roughly the original value of the old account.

Fortunately with ACATs (Automated Customer Account Transfer) all of the data and metadata transferred from one brokerage to the other. I'm able to see all of the historic basis values at the new brokerage site for all the funds. One less thing to worry about.

On 2023-07-05 15:48, David Carlson wrote:
AC,

Yes, to keep GnuCash happy you want to transfer the cost basis as well as
the securities to the new brokerage account.  By entering the transactions
as a sale at the same price that you purchased the the security and a new
purchase at that same price, you are transferring the cost basis, Since
that is not a real sale, there is no realized gain or loss to report to the
taxman until you really do sell

If you didn't transfer the cost, then GnuCash would think that the old
account still had a cost for a now non-existent asset and the new account
got the security free.  You may have to provide that same information to
your broker or custodian if they didn't get it automatically.