On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 01:06:36PM +0100, Maf. King wrote:
> On Friday, 14 July 2023 12:34:28 BST Fross, Michael wrote:
> > I  run multiple instances at the same time, but you have to open different
> > data files. I’d keep them in different directories to be tidy.
> >

> I don't do it often, but have had occasion to have GC side-by-side on 2 data
> files at the same time.
>
> What I have done is start a 2nd instance of GC, let it warn me that the data
> file is in use already, select open read-only then file-> open to the second
> data file.  (I have 6 in regular use).  But I'm on Linux, don't know it that
> would work the same on any WinOs flavour.
>
> Agree 100% about keeping each data file in its own sub-directory, and about
> not
> changing prefs while 2 instances are running!

I have quite a lot of separate GnuCash 'instances' where 'instance'
means a GnuCash data file (Sqlite database in my case).

I am a PCC (Parochial Church Council) treasurer, this requires me to
submit audited accounts to the Diocese each year.  It also requires
separate accounts for 'restricted' and 'unrestricted' funds.
Restricted funds are those donations which have been specifically
given for the upkeep of our church building as opposed to being used
for general expenses.

I thus keep separate GnuCash data files for 'restricted' and
'unrestricted' in each financial year.  With a little bit of simple
scripting (this is Linux) I can go to any year's dirctory and simply
enter 'gnc' to see that year's current/unrestricted accounts and 'gnb'
to see the building/restricted accounts. I never have to mess about
changing the dates on reports to see different years, I never have to
explicitly specify which data file to use (because it's in the
directory for the year I'm looking at).

--
Chris Green