I use SQLite also and have used it to examine a few things in my GnuCash file, but not comparing transactions.

Interesting on the copy-paste issue.

Did you happen to re-type it in the same session?

Maybe change it to just 'foo' or something.

Exit.

Reopen.

Retype the description.

If you were in the same session, I'd say there is a non-zero chance GnuCash remembered what was there and dutifully inserted any non-printable characters that were unknowingly pasted in originally.