My own accounting period is the calendar year, but a nonprofit I'm
keeping books for uses a fiscal year ending July 31st. Accounting period
seems to be a per-user setting, not a per-book setting. Is there
actually a way to have different accounting periods for different books.
(Yes, I know I could create another Windows user, but that s4ems like a
lot of overhead.)

I'm on 4.14 now: I elected not to go to 5.3 since 5.4 is only a few
weeks away.

And KUDOS on the speed: files open and save much, much faster than in
2.6. And my balance sheet comes up almost instantly, instead of taking
about a minute.

The Hidden column in the Accounts tab is a nice addition: A few days
ago, in 2.6, I was trying to find which accounts were hidden and that
meant clicking each account, then the Edit button. That was very
tedious, but now I can see the same information at a glance.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA