To Michael's point, setting specific dates, that's not as convenient,
but maybe saving one report with two sets of options will reduce the
amount of date selection I have to do, even if it doesn't reduce it to
zero.

Perhaps lack of clarity what is meant by "saved report"

Thus for any entity, I would (at least) be running a "Statement of Revenues and Expenses" (the business world would call P&L) and a balance sheet quarterly). I would be SAVING these by exporting from gnucash into the "financial reports" folder of the organization using a file name incorporating the Julian date (the effective date as opposed to real time date when run. All that I would have SAVED of the report in gnucash would be the display preferences, accounts excluded if any, etc.. I would expect to EACH TIME enter the effective dates of the run. I would find things like "current year", "current quarter", etc. not terribly useful as what those mean would depend on the real time date when the report was run.

Understand? Am I running the year end reports the night of Jan 31st? Probably not. Probably not until a few days into the next year. But maybe, depending on how New Years fell, I would be running before the end of the year (say the 31st was a Monday -- well the 30th would not be a "business day" and the 29th the last day for external transactions ). In other words, the meaning of "current year, current quarter, etc. is unclear. Explicit dates are clear.

Michael D Novack