I and a few other folks have noted this, and my personal opinion is 'bug' but I haven't filed it yet till I can narrow it down. (maybe someone else has though)

It *does* autofill after you enter a new transaction in 5.3. It is just that it seems to have amnesia for all transactions (save for the description) entered before 5.3.

Note - ALL transactions are 'split' between at least 2 accounts, though GnuCash doesn't show them as 'split' transactions unless they involve 3 or more accounts. (really, 3 or more 'splits' which could technically still involve only 2 accounts)