I am in the USA and I've seen this happen as well. It's been some years
(pre-GnuCash for me), but there was a way to do this in Quicken. I'm sure
that there is a way to handle this.

I don't remember what causes a basis adjustment, but what the basis needs
to change... if you have 100 shares at $10/share, the basis is $1,000.00.
When the basis changes, the result should be that the original basis of
$1000.00 changes; this can be lowered by increasing the share count (or
vice versa).

Let me add that I am not an accountant, nor a tax expert; I'm trying to
pull up memories from a number of years ago when I had to deal with this in
Quicken.  I'm sure if Quicken could do it, there must be a way to do it in
GnuCash.