On 9/4/2023 1:04 PM, Paras Desai wrote:
Hello Michael

Thanks for your feed back.

I fully agree that Dynamic COA can create havoc while comparing two period (dates) financial report.

That is the precise reason, I have very precisely structured primary account and secondary sub account so far my work accounts are concern. No one can change without authorisation. No created account to be deleted even if have zero balance and so on. There is a detailed SOP implemented as how to handle COA.

I was NOT talking about "unauthorized changes". Nor was I talking about accounts no longer being used. I was talking about things like this:

  At time A there is an account with name X. The transactions in there almost all fit X with a couple odd ones more fitting a not yet existent Y (but still close enough to put in X). Over the course of the year, a lot more of these Y's, and less close to X. So decided it makes sense to create and account Y, move the few from X that really better fit Y to Y, and from now on use Y for the ones that best belong there. But since X and Y are related, a new parent Z for them to be children of.

   Or... one of your  bank accounts is with bank XXXX and so naturally the name of the account reflects that. At some point in the year the bank changes its name to YYYY. Do you leave the account name alone? Do you change it to match the new bank name? Mind, you might not see this as much of an issue as I do since I have been mainly keeping books for organizations (I'd not be wanting to present reports to the BoD with the old name, would be sure to be questioned on "why not fixed")

   I other words, I expect the CoA to be somewhat dynamic.

Michael D Novack