The process works but the Price Import Assistant Summary description and
poor user interface labels are confusing. I use csv import all the time but
this is so bad I can't understand it.

[the minimum columns] are Date, Amount, From Namespace, From Symbol and
Currency To. If all entries are for the same Commodity / Currency then you
can select them and then the columns will be Date and Amount...

Examples are "FTSE","RR.L","21/11/2016",5.345,"GBP” and
CURRENCY:USD;2016-11-21;1.56;GBP

Isn't FTSE an index and what is the .L ? So currency can be prefixed with
CURRENCY: ?

I don't understand the data (except date and amount) which means I can't
understand the column format example. It would be a lot clearer if the
columns were in the same order as the description, and even better with a
header line, so the data didn't have to be understood to understand
the columns.

I still have no idea what the file would look like when all entries are
the same commodity...

Surely this process should support the default currency like elsewhere in
GnuCash and the column names are absurd.

Thanks Ken. That link had a nice clear example but it will not work now
without the From Namespace (coder jargon for Stock Exchange).

I just tested with the following CSV:
AAPL,23/8/2018,USD,255.37
ABF.L,23/8/2018,GBP,25