First, your use case might be out of scope for GnuCash.

But you might be able to accomplish #3 with a Transaction Report.

Since you want a delta though, you will likely have to run two such reports with different ending dates (either independently or using the Multi-Column report) and then export to a spreadsheet to get your variance column.

Another option would be to use the Balance Sheet (multi-column) report. Set your period to One Year, set the beginning date as Last Quarter, closing date as Current Quarter and select only the relevant Accounts.

Then export to a spreadsheet for adding your variance column.

-----
There is no virtual retained earnings account. (according to my understanding)

If you proceed as normal, and do not close the books, GnuCash calculates what this account balance would be and shows it on the Balance Sheet report. (perhaps others)

If you close the books, you get a real Retained Earnings account.
-----
I don't think you *need* to close books to achieve any of your three objectives.