From the GnuCash website:

"GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software..."

(also contained in the Readme.txt file)

How large or complicated of a 'small business' is meant here would be better answered by one of the developers, but an example of out-of-scope would be 'payroll'. While GnuCash includes Employees as an entity, that was for the purpose of Expense Vouchers, not Payroll. You can of course use GnuCash for payroll, but you have to do the transactions yourself (or import them). There is no function for it specifically.

I'm going to hazard a guess by the lack of functionality for shareholders and dividends, the same would apply here. That doesn't mean you can't accomplish the task, but that GnuCash wasn't designed with those specific features in mind.

There are plenty of threads here concerning reports showing a variance column. (amount and/or percentage) The current solution is to export to spreadsheet and manipulate from there. Really, that is the simplified version of what you are trying to accomplish with #3 goal.

I'm thinking rather than request a specific change for your specific case, either find an RFE (Request For Enhancement) with respect to a report that can help you accomplish the task, or file one if none exists. I'd think the first two candidates would be for a variance column to be available for the Balance Sheet (multicolumn) and Income Statement (multicolumn) as both already have a Total column available when set for more than one period.

If accounts are appearing in the wrong section of a report, that would be a bug.