I'm using Gnucash on Mac OS, but I would think the file locations are used for the same functions. The directory for "books" on my machine is "~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash/books". Different location, same purpose. This directory contains a bunch of files with names like <File Name>.gnucash.gcm. These are not Gnucash files that you'd open with File->Open.

The files you want to open have names of the format "<File Name>.gnucash". You need to find those files, without the .gcm or any other suffix.