On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 9:48 AM Tom Balazs <tom123onl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I finished importing and reconciling months of bank data. Now I want to put
> that to good use.
>
> For the case of an individual or a family, what are the most useful
> reports?
>
> Common advice is that your emergency savings account should hold enough to
> cover 6 months of expenses. In order to to do that, I need to know my
> average monthly expenses. I guess I can use the Cash Flow report, look at
> "Money Out" and divide that by how many months have gone by in the year. Is
> there a better way to get average monthly expenses?
>
> I like the Cash Flow report. But I wish I could sort it by amount, high to
> low. That would be good to see as a stacked bar chart or a regular bar
> chart.
>
> I would like to see a multiple-account balance as a line chart or a bar
> chart. In a way that shows me balances over time.
>
> I guess I'm mostly interested in the Income and Expense reports, but also
> in Assets and Liabilities.
>
> What reports do you find useful?
>
> Tom

The Transaction Report is excellent.

You'll need to select your accounts (you can start with selecting all of
the Expense accounts - possibly Income as well, but the real key is to go
into the Options display, go to the Sorting tab, change the Secondary key
to "Date" with a monthly subtotal.  Also go to the Display tab, scroll down
and enable the "Subtotal Table".

You will then have, at the top of the report, for each month in your
selected range, an amount by month with an average at the end.

I find this very useful.