I recently had a problem[1] with getting online quotes from GnuCash 5.5 on macOS. It caused me to reflect on some shortcomings[2] of the GnuCash wiki page on Online Quotes[3]. This message is an attempt to capture some thoughts on how that the Online Quotes documentation might be improved. Actually doing the improvement is a big job. I don't promise to do it myself right now.

A general observation: the top of Online Quotes is big and sprawling, with many facets:

1. The task: how to install, how to update, how to configure stock
   entries, how to get quotes, how to get historical prices
2. The components of the online quotes machinery:
    1. the Perl interpreter
    2. Finance::Quote and the Perl modules on which it depends
    3. GnuCash's tools for installing Finance::Quote
    4. System installs vs package manager installs of Perl & modules
       (I'm looking at you, Homebrew and MacPorts)
3. The different platforms — Unix, macOS, Apple Silicon vs x86_64 on
   macOS, Windows, different versions of Windows. There are variants of
   many of the sections for the various platforms.
4. The different data sources and symbols quirks for each
5. Troubleshooting
6. Versions of GnuCash: the facilities for online quotes have changed
   from major version to major version of GnuCash, and that content is
   folded together into one wiki page.
7. The documentation locations: the Online Quotes wiki page[3], and two
   places in the GnuCash manual[4][5], aspire to be well coordinated
   but have evolved away from that.

The current Online Quotes wiki page is 108,503 bytes mixing together #1-#6 above. That is so big and confusing to be hard to navigate.

One short term action could be to agree how to refactor. Then various people can take incremental refactoring steps.

In particular, I suggest we consider splitting Online Quotes by GnuCash version groups, then by platform. Version groups are ranges of GnuCash versions, and change where the Online Quotes behaviour in GnuCash changed: current is GnuCash 5.x, previous is 4.x, before that is 3.11 and earlier. Platform is probably: macOS (inc Homebrew, Gnucash), Windows, Unix, cross-platform.

Imagine the article <wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes> refers to sub-articles like <wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes/current/macOS/Installation>, <wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes/4.x/Unix/Troubleshooting>, <wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes/current/all/Retrieving>. (Those names are for illustration only. Getting good names will probably take some work.)

Another short-term action is to move content out of the wiki article and into the GnuCash Manual, especially for Installation. The article says, "Before you continue read the Official Documentation... We try to reduce redundancy." Let's take that seriously.

Hopefully these notes contribute to whatever improvement project gets done.
Best regards,
   —Jim DeLaHunt

[1] [GNC] GnuCash 5.5 (macOS) can't get quotes, because it doesn't see JSON::Parse,  Sat, 23 Dec 2023 12:30:43 -0800 <https://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-user@gnucash.org/msg38877.html>

[2] ibid thread,  Sun, 24 Dec 2023 11:31:44 -0800 <https://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-user@gnucash.org/msg38883.html>