Is this screenshot taken while viewing the AR account? That error message usually means you don't have a split in the transaction that is AR/AP.

Can you turn on View > Transaction Journal and send another screenshot?

Be sure to commit the transaction first, then try right-clicking to assign the payment.

If it still won't work, you might have to employ some intermediary accounts.

One option is to create a contra-income (sales) account for something like "Discounts & Allowances", and then issue a Credit Note for that Customer with a line item posted to that account. (the Credit Note itself will post to AR)

Then process a payment and select the Credit Note & Invoice to offset. ('pay' the invoice with the Credit Note)

Then do a manual transaction between the Discounts & Allowances account and your desired expense account. (moving the amount from contra-sales to expense)